September 7, 2019 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
By RSVPing for this event, you agree to be photographed.
MUST BE 18+
CONRAD T. PREBYS AUDITORIUM
Questions? Please contact Rachel Sawyer at email@example.com
Learn how to create and edit Wikipedia pages to improve the coverage of women scientists.
CELEBRATING WOMEN IN STEM
To register: www.salk.edu/wikipedia
Only 17.7 percent of English Wikipedia biographies feature women. This number has increased by 2.7 percent in the past five years largely due to Wikipedia edit-a-thons – events in which participants work together to create and edit Wikipedia pages for notable women. These efforts increase the number of female role models.
This edit-a-thon, co-hosted by Salk Institute for Biological Studies, SAID in STEM, 500 Women Scientists – San Diego and San Diego Science Writers Association, will focus on creating and improving Wikipedia pages for women scientists.
The event is underwritten by the Salk Office of Equity & Inclusion.
This free event will feature:
- Continental breakfast 9:00 a.m.
- Guest speaker Dr. Pamela Cosman, Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Jacobs School of Engineering at UC San Diego, inaugural holder of the Dr. John and Felia Proakis Chancellor Faculty Fellowship, and author of The Secret Code Menace, a book for 9-11-year-olds that teaches error correction coding and other concepts in wireless communications through a fictional story
- Instructions on how to create and edit Wikipedia pages
- Names of women scientists who need new or improved pages
- Time to edit and create Wikpedia pages together in real time, in a supportive environment
Please arrive with:
- Fully charged laptop*
- A Wikipedia username and password – create an account here: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:CreateAccount
*A limited number of charging stations will be available.
Event Highlights- Included Breakfast, lunch and
hands-on instruction on how to edit Wikipedia pages
8:15 a.m. Registration and Check-In
9:00 a.m. Keynote Speaker: Pamela Cosman, PhD
10:00 a.m. Wikipedia Editing Lesson
10:15 a.m. Wikipedia Editing Session
1:00 p.m. Closing Remarks: Mackenzie Lemieux